Let’s face it: a dusty, musty room heaped high with long-forgotten clutter is usually a bit of a kill-joy. It’s so much easier to just close the door and tell ourselves that we will “get to it later.” But if you find that “later” never seems to come, then it’s time to find ways to inject a dose of FUN into your organizing project so you will feel inspired to tackle that room. Here’s what this home organizer has found works:
- Friends don’t let friends organize alone! Trade organizing help with a fun friend (“I’ll help you organize the playroom if you help me tackle my home office”) or hire a professional organizer with a great sense of humor to help you get that dusty, musty room organized. You will be amazed at how much faster the project goes when you are cracking jokes with a pal by your side.
- Find a great playlist and crank up the tunes! One of my most fun-loving organizing clients loves her disco music (Earth, Wind and Fire especially), so we blast that and even sing along together as we organize her garage. It really boosts our energy to have a good beat to work to.
- An organizer I know swears by encouraging people to wear ridiculous costumes while they organize. Red clown nose and tutu, anyone?
- Another organizer who was working in her own space would stop periodically to snap pictures of the craziest or funniest thing she found while organizing her memorabilia. She would quickly post the pics to Facebook and then take a short break every 30 minutes to read people’s comments. Laughing over her friends’ hilarious comments was an energy boost that helped her stick with her organizing project.
- Another client I work with starts each of our organizing sessions in her shared office by raiding the office candy bowl. Then we take our handfuls of chocolate back to her desk and munch on that while we organize her files.
If you can find ways to have fun while organizing, you are much more likely to see the project through. And if you hit a wall, call one of our professional organizers in to bring a bit of humor into the situation and get your project finished for you. Happy Organizing!
Like this post? Then like our Facebook page. In need of home organizing or unpacking services in the Portland, Beaverton or Lake Oswego area for your home or office? Contact us for a low-cost assessment and get a bid on your project here.