Self-care is super important in this stressed-out, hectic world. But self-care isn’t all spa visits and naps. It also includes doing little tasks around your house that your future self will thank you for. In my work as a professional organizer, I tell my organizing clients it’s like making deposits into my Peace Of Mind Bank. For example: I make my bed in the morning (that’s a deposit in the POM Bank). Then when I come home, I get to have a comfy, tidy place to relax in while I watch my Netflix shows. I get to experience Peace Of Mind at the end of the day, thanks to me!
Here are some easy, quick ideas for ways you can make “deposits” in your own Peace Of Mind Bank:
1. Throw all your old magazines in the recycling so you have room for all the nice, new magazines you will be getting.
2. Pick up all your dirty clothes off your bedroom floor and throw them in the laundry hamper. This will make your bedroom feel so much more welcoming!
3. Take all the papers off your table and counter and put them in a pile to go through later when you have 30-60 minutes. This will go a long way towards giving you clear counters and room for everyone to eat at the table.
4. Empty your dishwasher so it’s much easier to do dishes right after dinner. I used to think this took SO LONG! So one day, I timed myself unloading it when the dishwasher was particularly full. It took me JUST 4 MINUTES! I think a lot of common household chores don’t take as long as we think they will.
5. Get rid of all of the bottles on your bathroom counter and shelves that are gathering dust. The dust means you aren’t using them. It’s so much nicer to face your early morning routine when your bathroom is tidy and not grimy!
6. Take a minute to find all of your shoe pairs and line them up on the floor of your closet so you can get out the door on time in the morning.
7. Sign up for automatic bill pay for at least one bill. As time allows, put more bills on automatic bill pay to save yourself late fees and time spent paying bills every month.
8. Collect all of the dirty dishes, cups and food packaging out of your living room and dining room. Afterward, this space will be so much more relaxing and probably smell better too!
9. Open your phone’s calendar and enter a recurring date (with alarm reminder!) to do a whole family 15-minute clean-up time each evening after dinner. This will make a HUGE difference in how tidy your house stays on a regular basis. More about what to do during a 15-minute clean-up here.
10. Sick of all of the stuff sitting in your junk drawer or out on a surface somewhere? Sweep it all into a box, write “Donate by Summer 2020” and stick it out in the garage. If you haven’t needed anything out of the box by that deadline a year from now, then you know you can live without all of that clutter. Freeing yourself of extra stuff is a huge investment in your Peace Of Mind!
Bottomline: Doing one little task each day at home to make your home tidier, more organized and easier to manage, is an investment in YOUR future rest and relaxation. Your Peace Of Mind is worth it!
Like this post? Then like our Facebook page or follow us on Instagram or Pinterest. In need of professional organizing services in the Portland, Beaverton or Lake Oswego area for your home or office? Contact us for a low-cost assessment and get an estimate on your project here.