Whew! I finally found the time to get my headboard finished. I love the fabric. At first, I had a hard time finding fabric wide enough (60”) to cover the span and wrap around the back. Then it occurred to me to use an inexpensive sheet instead (thank you, Target).
I also initially wanted to use foam against the back, followed by a layer of batting and then the fabric wrapped around it all. But the foam would have been $67! Apparently, the price of foam follows the price of oil, since it’s a petroleum-based product. So I found heavy-duty batting, folded it in half and staple-gunned it to the back instead. Worked perfectly.
My dear husband helped me bolt it onto the bed frame and voila! A stylish padded headboard. Not as inexpensive a project as I had hoped – the total came to about $87 – but it was still cheaper than buying one at the store. And having fun is part of the project’s value.
Next project: A matching dust ruffle made out of the rest of the cut-up sheet that I will Velcro to the box springs for easy removal.