This time of year we are all so busy, which means we tend to stop taking the time to do a little bit of clean-up each day. We fall into bed way past our normal bedtime, too tired to clear off the table, do the dishes and tell the kids to put their toys away. Schedules and routines get interrupted, so there is no time to do all of the little things that keep a house in order.
No wonder our homes end up in complete disarray by January.
You have worked too hard keeping your home organized the rest of the year to let it slide into chaos in one month! Fight the clutter and mess by making this your mantra: Take an extra 20 seconds.
- Take an extra 20 seconds to put something back where you found it.
- Take an extra 20 seconds to put the towel back on the rack, the measuring cup back in the drawer, the milk back in the fridge.
- Take an extra 20 seconds to hang up your coat when you come home.
- Take an extra 20 seconds to recycle the junk mail laying on the counter.
- Take an extra 20 seconds to put your keys back in the bowl by the door.
- Take an extra 20 seconds to put your shoes back in the closet.
- Take an extra 20 seconds to throw out the plastic packaging.
Don’t save up cleaning and organizing for a Saturday morning. You know you won’t take the time. Instead, do it as you go. Teach the family to take an extra 20 seconds to put back what they got out.
Take an extra 20 seconds. Experience the difference this mantra can make in your home and how you feel about it at the end of each day.