When it comes to picking out gifts for little kid birthday parties or for the holidays, I always find myself in a quandary. I do not, DO NOT want to contribute to the toy clutter that so many parents have to deal with. I don’t ever want to give a gift that burdens somebody. But what can you give a little kid that is still useful, fun and appreciated? Here is an ever-growing list of 27 gifts to give kids that are not toys.
5. Bubble bath
6. Reusable lunch sack or lunch box with water bottle
7. Alarm clock (Nathan loves his Darth Vader alarm clock!)
8. Notepads and fun pencils
9. Sketchpad and pens, markers or colored pencils
10. DVD, CD
13. Fun toothbrush (Nathan has his eye on an electronic Darth Vader toothbrush. Do you see a theme here?)
15. Cozy blanket
17. Gift certificates for ice cream or frozen yogurt (This is my go-to gift for summertime birthday parties.)
18. Crazy socks, sunglasses or fun hat
19. Hair accessories (yeah, only works for a girl)
20. Movie tickets (That’s a big winner in our family!)
21. Subscription to a children’s magazine like Highlights or Cricket
22. Gift cards to go somewhere like the zoo, Children’s Museum, a concert, a play, ice skating, roller skating, etc.
23. Bath soap crayons
24. Washable paints, brushes and smock
25. Mani/pedi day
26. Walkie-talkies (this was one of Nathan’s FAVORITE gifts, and it’s a huge hit when his friends come over.)
27. New sheets/pillowcases for their beds with their favorite characters on them
What other fun, useful NON-TOY gifts can you come up with for a little kid? Post them in the comments below!
Image courtesy of pasukaru76 at Flickr.