You’ve gone to the trouble of finding an organizer, setting aside the time and making the investment. Now, how do you get the most out of your organizing session with your home organizer? Here are 7 suggestions:
- Get clear on what your goals are with working with a professional organizer. What do you want to move towards? Homes for everything you own? The dining room table cleared off? A solution to the shoes piled up by the front door? The more specific you can get, the more happy you will be with the results at the end of the session.
- Be open to the organizer’s ideas and process. Sometimes trying new ways of doing things is uncomfortable at first. But this is how we figure out new systems that work for us. If we stick to only what is safe and familiar, we won’t make progress on our organizing goals. So be ready to try out some new thoughts and behaviors.
- Plan to not check email, texts or take phone calls during your appointment with your organizer. Put your phone on do not disturb and if you’d like, tell your organizer you need to take a 5 minute break halfway through your session to check messages.
- Be sure to eat a good snack before your appointment and have a bottle of water nearby. Organizing takes mental and physical energy, and you don’t want to hit a fatigue wall just an hour into your session.
- If pets are going to be a distraction, see if you can get a family member to be in charge of keeping them entertained or out of the way. Some of our clients choose to send their pets to doggy daycare during organizing sessions.
- Don’t feel obligated to clean up or start organizing before your organizing session starts. You don’t want to wear yourself out or overwhelm yourself before the work has even started. And no organizer will expect you to get a headstart on your project by yourself.
- It’s normal to feel a little bit nervous at the beginning of your appointment. But feel free to speak up to your organizer at any time if you feel overwhelmed, overly anxious or overly tired. These are signs that your organizer needs to adjust how the session is going to better suit your energy and coping levels.
It’s a wise move to hire an organizer when you can’t figure out how to make your home function, so hopefully these tips will help make your organizing session a success. Happy Organizing, everyone!