10 minutes a day. That’s all the time this trick requires.
Work during your peak energy time
First of all, when do you feel the most energy right now? Right after your morning cup of coffee? After lunch? Whenever it is, THAT is when you are going to set aside 10 minutes a day to do a little organizing tidy-up. Don’t blow your narrow window of energy scrolling through social media! Save that for your reward after you do your daily tidy-up.
Do 1-2 of these tasks daily
Next, do ONE or TWO of these 10-minute tasks a day:
- Gather up all the dirty dishes and cups from other rooms of the house and off your counters and put them in the kitchen sink. Fill up the sink with hot, soapy water and let them soak.
- Walk through the house main floor of your house with a trash bag, and throw in as much trash as you can find. I’ll even give you permission in these stressed-out times to throw in things that would normally be recycled or donated. Just get them in the bag and get the bag out in the trash.
- Gather up all the clothing and laundry you can find and throw them in the laundry hamper or in a laundry basket.
- Empty the dishwasher so there’s room to fill it with dirty dishes when the mood strikes.
- Grab a couple of brown bags. Put anything that belongs to the kids in one bag. Put anything that belongs to your spouse or partner in another bag. Clearly label the bags with big, bright Post It notes and put the bags in each family members’ room. Now it’s their responsibility to put their own things away.
If you do one or two of these 10 minute tasks a day when you are at your peak energy, your house should start to feel a bit more manageable over the coming week.
Want to double your productivity?
Get the whole family involved and have them EACH do one of these tasks every day. Wow, that will save you so much time AND get your house tidied up so much faster!
But whatever you do, go easy on yourself. This quarantine is an energy-sucking, mood-ruining nightmare, but it is temporary. We will all get through it together.
Like this post? Then like our Facebook page or follow us on Instagram or Pinterest. In need of professional organizing services in the Portland, Beaverton or Lake Oswego area for your home or office? Contact us for a low-cost assessment and get an estimate on your project here.