Many of our organizing clients (about 65%) have told us they have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), so our organizers have developed strategies over the years to make organizing sessions easier on these clients. Here are just a few of the tools that we use:
1. We schedule shorter organizing sessions instead of long sessions (e.g. 2 hours instead of 4 hours).
2. At the beginning of the session, we explain the structured 4-step organizing process we will be using, so clients can know exactly what to expect.
3. We check in with the client throughout the session to make sure the pacing and the strategies we are using are working with the client’s energy level and mood.
4. If clients feel overwhelmed by the amount of clutter, we can use a sheet to cover up the areas we won’t be tackling that day.
5. Along the same lines, we can pack up a box with things to sort and take into a safer room or out on the patio to sort, if the room we are working in brings up feelings of overwhelm.
6. We make a concerted effort to keep the sessions light and fun by chatting with clients throughout. This can make a task feel like it’s zipping along!
7. Every hour, we take a 5-minute break and remind clients to drink water and eat a snack, if necessary.
8. We stop 30 minutes before the end of the session to put things away, dump trash and recycling, and clean up.
9. We never assign homework in between sessions unless the client specifically asks us to.
We love working with our clients with ADHD, and I especially love this population’s sense of humor, creativity and desire to make things fun! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have ADHD and have been struggling with disorganization at home. We would love to lend a hand.
Like this post? Then like our Facebook page. In need of home organizing or unpacking services in the Portland, Beaverton or Lake Oswego area for your home or office? Contact us for a low-cost assessment and get a bid on your project here.